Pediatric Eye Examinations
How to Prepare Your Child for
a Comfortable, Successful Eye Exam
Good vision is critical for a child’s success in school –and life. Because children learn primarily through their sense of sight, it is critically important to help them see as clearly and accurately as possible. Regular eye examinations are the best way to keep their eyes in great condition. At Wise Eyes Optical, we truly care about all of our patients. We are a family-friendly practice, and have been caring for the eye and vision health of our young patients for over 41 years. We have prepared some tips and suggestions regarding how to help prepare your child for his or her eye examination to help ensure a comfortable, successful eye exam and an overall positive experience.
Eye Exam Confidence for Children and Sensitive Patients
Your child may feel scared, anxious, or unsure about what to expect during the eye exam. There are many pieces of equipment that may seem intimidating through young eyes, and the process of the eye exam may be unlike anything else he or she has ever experienced. With a little preparation, you can help your child know what to expect to relax and handle the eye exam with confidence. A great pediatric eye exam begins with preparing your child ahead of the first visit. Our team is available to help make the process as easy as possible for our young patients, sensitive individuals, and the entire family!
Tips for a Successful First Eye Exam
- Tell your child about the upcoming exam.
- Let he or she know why it is important to make sure our eyes are healthy.
- Show your child the vision center and come in to meet our friendly doctors and staff.
- Stop in to show your child the equipment that will be used during the exam in advance of your appointment, if possible.
- Be honest with your child about the exam process. Let him or her know that eyedrops may be used and that they may sting for a few seconds, but that it will not be very painful and will not last long.
- Prepare any questions or concerns you may have in advance. These can be presented discretely to your eye doctor.
- Stay with your child throughout his examination to help answer any questions he or she may have and help reassure them.
- If corrective lenses are prescribed, allow your child to help choose their frames and lenses. We carry a wide assortment of colors and styles that children love!
Wise Eyes Optical is committed to providing your child with the highest quality eye and vision care for a happy and successful start in life. If you have any questions, we are happy to provide the information you need. Thank you for being a part of our practice!